As I celebrate 20 whole years of making jewellery I’ve been thinking about how things have changed since 20 years ago.
It makes me feel a bit old as none of this seems all that long ago to me, but of course 20 years is a long time!
So here’s a little rundown of what the world was like back then:
Back in 1992:
- 1 and 2 cent coins were removed from circulation in Australia
- George Bush senior was President of the United States, but Bill Clinton was elected President in November
- Paul Keating was Prime Minister of Australia … happy days!
- The High Court of Australia recognised native title for the first time in the Mabo decision
- The former Yugoslavia began to break up
- Russia and the United States stopped aiming nuclear weapons at each other
- The European Union was founded … and, gosh, isn’t that going well!
- There were fears about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq
- The Bosnian War began
- Apartheid formally ended in South Africa
- The first Big Day Out music festival was held in Sydney, Australia – headline acts were Nirvana and The Violent Femmes
- A tribute concert to Freddie Mercury was held in London, raising millions of dollars for AIDS research
- The Olympic Games were held in Barcelona, Spain
- Queen Elizabeth declares 1992 to be an ‘Annus Horribilis’ for her family
- Prince Charles and Princess Diana announced their formal separation
- The first extrasolar planets were detected
- Marlene Dietrich, Isaac Asimov, Benny Hill, Francis Bacon, Brett Whiteley and Peter Allen died
- Miley Cyrus was born
- Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus was the Australian end of year number one single 1992 (and one I’d worked to promote, which probably is a clue as to why I wanted to leave the music industry!)
- Jesus Christ Superstar by the Australian cast of the musical was the Australian end of year number one album (ditto on both counts!)
* * *
Don’t forget to check out my 20 years, 20 jewellery pieces, 20% off special for this month only, as well as the other celebrations for the 20th anniversary!